ANST - Re: protocol

Lee Cavett catsden at texas.net
Wed May 27 21:42:24 PDT 1998

The K.I.S.S. rule works as well in this situation as anywhere. Use the
_single_ title or form of address with the highest precedence, unless:
1. You have some reason to believe the person in question prefers
another;
2. The person in question is acting in a capacity which firmly matches
a certain title (the "'Don'-in-the-rapier-list" example comes to
mind).

In the case of two or more titles/addresses with the same precedence,
use either, but see #2 above.

Note the fun-n-games of titles in this kingdom:
- a peer outranks a court baron/ess (Your Excellency), but is
outranked by a sitting territorial baron/ess (also Your Excellency).
- A  Grant has no Corpora-mandated title other than Lord/Lady (also
used for an AoA, of course), but kingdom tradition calls for the use
of Honorable Lord/Lady in formal/court situations, in accordance with
the suggestions of Baldwin of Erebor many years back.

Title-stacking, as Sir Galen has noted, is gauche. It is slightly more
acceptable, if calling a high-ranking noble/peer into court, to use
different _forms_ of title /address to denote multiple "identities" if
necessary or being really pompous - "His Grace, Master Multipeer",
while still less than elegant, is still better than "Duke Sir Master
Multipeer".

"Alphabet soup" is, as far as I have been able to discover, one of the
many Victorian practices that have crept into common usage in the SCA.
There are no "official" abbreviations for the various awards other
than those in the OP, which are there merely to make it easier to sort
with a computer. The ones we use for the peerages, by the way, are
MOL, MOP, MSCA, and KSCA.

In this kingdom, virtually the only time a full set of titles is used
is when someone is called into court for a peerage or Lion, or comes
in to take the Crown. In that case, there is for each order a "style",
that is to say, an official-type formal title, that is used. Most of
these are pretty unwieldy, such as "Companion to the Order of the Star
of Merit of Ansteorra". Major mouthful. If anyone is interested, email
me privately and I will be happy to give you the full set.

Oh, and by the way, a badge was designed for the Order of the Sable
Falcon, but it did not pass Laurel and was never resubmitted.

In service,
Donal, Star