ANST - Re: Abreviations: was protocol

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu May 28 09:13:40 PDT 1998

Larkin wrote:
> Although the only listing for PoA is to Margaret Ny Conor and it was
> awarded in the East.  Why Ansteorra doesn't use PoAs I don't know.

(For the ones playing at home, PoA = Patent of Arms.)

It's a hack for database purposes, that's all.

Corpora says you can't give "naked" Patents.  They have to
come with one of the SCA-wide awards that can carry them.
The Chivalry (knights + Masters of Arms), Pelican, and
Laurel always come with a patent.  Each kingdom may decide,
when they give Roses, Duchy, or County whether they convey a
patent of arms or not.

I believe that Ansteorran Roses, Dukedoms, and Earldoms are
not patent-bearing.  What happens if someone moves in from a
kingdom where they are?  If they're just recorded in the
Ansteorran OP as Countess, say, the fact that they're a peer
is lost.  I therefore conclude that the East gives patent
royal titles, and that Margaret ny Conor is a countess or
duchess from there.  The Order of Precedence page for
M-names is incredibly sucky under Netscape 3.0 -- it insists
on re-rendering the page at the drop of a hat, and it's
incredibly slow -- so I can't check the royal title part.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.