ANST - Re: Abreviations: was protocol

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Fri May 29 06:08:29 PDT 1998

OK, I can't stay off this topic anymore.  I'm tagging on
to this note but replying to several people's comments.

First:  There's no such thing as a "naked" Patent of Arms.
Patents come with peerages, royal peerages, and the Order
of the Rose.  You cannot get a simple Patent of Arms like
a simple Award of Arms.  There are also no "random" Patents
of Arms.

Second:  Different kingdoms do it different ways.  Ansteorra
does it the right way; patents come only with the Laurel,
Pelican or Chivalry.  Our Royal Peerage titles don't
come with Patents, and the Order of the Rose is non-armigerous
here.

Other kingdoms give patents to their Royal Peers, or to
Ladies of the Rose.  In some of these other kingdoms,
all royal peers get Patents; in some kingdoms, the Crown
makes a judgement as to whether their predecessors
should receive Patents with their Royal Peerage titles
(Duke, Count or Viscount).  The East is one of these
latter Kingdoms, so Countess Maggie has a notation on
her OP listing that she has a Patent.  I'd have one
too, but my sucessor deemed me unworthy of a Patent.
(Ah, well, maybe someday.)

A Countess from the West (where all Royal Peers get
Patents) would have a Patent without necessarily having
it noted on her OP listing.

- Galen of Bristol

BTW, I use "Pel." as an abbreviation for the Order
of the Pelican because I was taught in Meridies that
that's how it's done.  "OP" is the abbreviation for
Order of Precedence.