ANST - Enamelling

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri May 29 11:40:59 PDT 1998

Moriel asked:
>here is a partial note from a lady in Ealdormere.  Stephen could you, or
>anyone else, post info pertaining to enameling?  I'll send it onto her.
>>re: enameling:
>> I got a modern 'how-to' book from the library, so I now have a
>> general idea of how it's done.  Can anyone offer me refs. for period
>> info. on enamelling, or details about the process?
>> How about anyone who's tried it themselves?
>> Hoping to hear back from someone soon,
>> Regards,
>> Genevieve F.
>> Caldrithig, Skraeling Althing
>> Ealdormere

If you're into enamelling, you'll eventually need to contact Thompsons
Enamel for all your equipment and supplies:

Thompson Enamel
606-291-3800
650 Colfax Ave
Bellvue, KY 41073

I would also recommend consulting with one of the following talented folks
from Ansteorra, though you may have some enamellers in your own kingdom
(ask your neighborhood Laurel who does enamelling there!):

Mistress Catherine Blackrose (PLarrisn at ix.netcom.com) Is well-known for her
beautiful glass enamelling.  She can be contacted at the email address
above or the address below:
Pamela Larrison
P.O. Box 1404
Edmond, OK 73083

Master Fritz der Rothirsh (rhemail at flash.net) does true cloisonne work and
glass enamelling.  His mottos (based on what everyone else says) is "Fritz
can do it!"

Mistress Mara MacNaughten.  Her e-mail *was* <MstrssMara at aol.com> but I
think has now changed very slightly to <Mstrsmara at aol.com> since she just
moved to North Carolina.  Mara's field of expertise includes lampworked
glass beadmaking, glass enamelling, and stained glass.

Mistress Briony Blaaslagen (lvickers at stic.net) does glass enamelling on
copper and some lampworked glass beadmaking.  Briony is somewhat inactive
at the present time, but can be reached at the email address above or at
the address below:
Lori Vickers
6815 King Louis
San Antonio, TX 78229
(210) 614-2958

Mistress Athena Mawrcan Derwen Ddu uses a faux enamelling process (doesn't
use glass enamel but rather some sort of plastic or synthetic material at
low heat).  Athena is fairly inactive right now, and I'm not sure how open
to teaching she may or may not be -- you would need to contact her and
inquire.  Athena doesn't have email so far as I know, but can be reached at
the address below:
Athena Moore
2124 Hedgerow
Arlington, TX 76010
(817) 274-4211

This should get you started!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)