ANST - Dehydration

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Thu May 21 07:51:39 PDT 1998

>It is in powder form, and can therefore be served at a higher dilution
>with water, than pre-made stuff. But you are right, in an EMERGENCY
>situation, salt water should be infused first, until the tissues are
>re-hydrated.

If fluids are being *infused*, you are correct. However, in the context of
the SCA, we cannot use IV solutions. Emergency rehydration is *WATER*. It
gets into the system much faster than electrolyte solutions. Electrolytes
can be added orally, usually in the normal foods the person eats. If you
are keeping up with drinking water and eating normally, there is no need
for solutions such as Gatoraid and Poweraid. Most people like these drinks
because they make the water taste better, and hopefully if it tastes
better, they'll drink more. I have an extensive article on heat and
hydration on my Chirurgeon web page (address in sig line).

>>Protocol for dehydration is 0.9% Sodium Chloride in water at bolus, and
>even bilateral anacubtial via 18ga. cath, if it is bad enough. The Doc
>in the E.R. then piggybacks a super packed electrolyte solution to an
>infusion port, once the intersticial <sp> fluids are back up a
>bit

Normally using a hypertonic solution is not necessary. In fact, if the
sodium is too low, and you increase it too fast, it can cause a most
devastating brain damage (though this is not usually seen in acute
dehydration). Each case must be evaluated individually.

>> I disagree. I've talked to several nutritionists (one of whom was a
>> practicing biochemist) who've all told me that it's far better to drink
>> plain water while dehydrated than drinking something like Powerade.

I quite agree. Again, please look at the article on my Chirurgeon page for
probably more than you ever wanted to know about heat and hydration.

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net