ANST - Ansteorran Count Mystery solved

AuroraeB AuroraeB at aol.com
Thu May 21 22:13:40 PDT 1998

I have to agree with this in part.

If there is somebody who has a history of past behavior that is a cause for
concern, I want to know whether or not that person will be at an event, so
that I can decide whether or not I want to expose myself to that risk or not.

I would be SUPREMELY pissed if I were to learn that a person who might be
considered "dangerous" was at an event and people were not warned beforehand.
There are certain individuals, that because of their violent criminal
background, I will NOT be at the same event with and will pack up and leave if
I see them there.

I have had only one really bad run in at an event with a person of very
questionable integrity.  But, my sober reflexes were no match for this man's
drunken advances, and I took control of the situation.  I would not like to
have to rely on those reflexes and survival instinct ever again at an event.

Sad but true, we really know NOTHING about the people we camp with at events.
Is the new guy at the next campsite a child molestor on deferred adjudication?
He could be......  Does the nice lady who you flirted with at dance guild have
a history of irrational and violent behavior and stalking?  Possibly.........
There are  LOT of people at events I know nothing about.  There is no
screening process or background check here.  We assume that our fellow SCA-ers
are holding a standard of integrity and honor.

Personally, I have no qualms at all about "outing" people I know for a fact
have a history of violent and/or criminal behavior.  My opinion is that when
they committed a violent act, they gave up that right to have a "secret past".
I would rather risk pissing somebody off because I warned others of their past
behaviors, than risk my friends' safety hoping that the ex-offender does not
have a relapse.

I am not talking about shunning people who have sincerely tried to turn their
lives around and have proven, over time that they are trustworthy and
reformed.  I am talking about those who get out of line and harm people, and
are not called on it.  There is a BIG difference between a person who did a
prison stint years ago and has since become a positive contribution to
humanity; and the person who has a history of getting out of control and
violent.  The former I can deal with, the latter I prefer to steer clear of.

As I said,  I'd feel extremely betrayed if a person who could be dangerous was
at an event and I was not at least warned of it.

Tracy