ANST - The list is moderated...

Lord Nikolai Piotr Danovich nikolai at fiac.net
Fri May 22 14:41:18 PDT 1998

>Are we now a censored list???????  I Thought this was a forum of open
>discussion on alot of different matters relating to the SCA, however, I
>never thought of it as an "official" SCA vehicle.  Is it?

As far as I know, it is not an official SCA vehicle.  However, anyone can
read this list and Pug could be held responsible for anything coming
through.
Remember, not only do you not have to be Ansteorran (I'm from Meridies) to
read this list, you also do not have to be in the SCA at all... you just
have to send a command to the majordomo.

Are we on a censored list?  Almost assuredly any list you are a member of
is somewhat censored.  After all, if I wanted, say, to post how to make of
a letter bomb and the address of Sock's (the Clinton's cat) summer retreat,
I suspect I would be immediately censored (and possibly censured) and
rightly so.  Not to mention the possibility of going to jail.  Remember,
Freedom of Speech does not allow you to proclaim whatever strikes your
fancy regardless of where you are.  Yelling "Fire" in a crowded building
will get you arrested if there is no fire.
(Yelling "fire" if there is no fire is not the truth, you say. What is
truth? Legally speaking, the truth is what a Court of Law says it is.)  As
for SCA topics, I have seen little about the SCA on this list since joining
48 hours ago.  What I have seen have been personal opinions about whether
or not we should be warned that X is at an event.

>I usually just lurk here, but I have to speak up at this point.  I
>believe in encouraging the kind of behaviour and speach we would like to
>see (or read), but I am deeply disturbed when it becomes arbitrated and
>censored.

Not all arbitration is necessarily bad.  After all, when we get on tangents
leading, say, to "Aliens abducted me and carried me to Camelot," we all
appreciate it when someone returns to the topic.  It is not that topics
cannot be expressed, however, this forum may not be the APPROPRIATE forum
for their expression.

Now, for something completely different,  there is currently a thread on
the Meridian Tavern Yard about criteria used in writing letters for various
awards and whether the (possible) recipient of said awards should be given
the recommendation letters before or after the award being given (or should
he be privy to this information at all).

How are things done in your fair Kingdom?

In Service,
Ld. Nikolai Piotr Danovich, CMC
Senechal, Shire River March, Meridies