ANST - moderation is not censorship ....

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue May 26 10:36:49 PDT 1998

> I have to make a comment or two on the subject of censorship and
> moderation.  Pug, after you made such a big deal about freedom of speech
> and allowed Litch to say and damn thing he pleased, you're suddenly going
> to censor the list?

moderation and "freedom of speech" are not exclusionary concepts in a publication
environment ... are newspapers, television stations, magazines, etc required to carry
*all* correspondence ... are they required to carry correspondence that is outside the
scope of their environment?.  that being the case, why should Pug and this list be held
to a differing standard simply becuase up till now the attempt was made to make the
list self-moderating (still a good concept in my opinion ... )

> I agree that the Moderator should work to stop the types of inflammatory
> and accusatory posts that we've seen go by, but I'd think that simply
> warning an offender first, then suspending them for three days to cool off

in a way that what's happened.  list was starting to spin out of control, reasonable
requests to restore topicality were ignored, so it was shut down for a few days to cool
off and let the person who could ultimately be held accountable for the posts decide
what they wanted to do about matters.

the best moderator is one that does exactly as Pug has done ... hands off, directing
conversation, and stepping in and putting on the moderator hat only when necessary
to head off a major problem.  all in all, i can find no fault in thsi management style.

> I really think you should consider carefully on this -- you are moderating
> unevenly if you'll allow Litch's many inflammatory piles of refuse go by
> but you're going to get all sweaty and quivering over the stuff that's
> been posted in the last few days.

actually, this is a apples and oranges comparison.  knowing Litch electronically for
many years (beginning 10'ish years ago in the BBS Age) and in the pagan circles
(where he is just as vocal), he was a man with strong opinions and way's of expressing
those opinions.  but those opinion usually stayed on this side of the "legal liability"
test.  several of the posts here last week and the hysteria they seemed to be
generating clearly straddled and crossed that line

Litch has bugged me repeatedly in the past (we definitely have butted heads on several
issues) but i will defend his right to say his piece - as long as he stays on this side of
the actual legal line (not necessarily what the online folk assume it to be ... being a ex-
sysop, i trained self to watch these matters closely for my own self-protection) ... as
he *usually* does.  funny thing is under the anger and vitriol, there is usually some
valid points though most don't bother listening close enough to hear.

'wolf
... another of those with strong opinions and usually not hesitant to stating them

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves