ANST - Latin Translations

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue May 26 13:57:51 PDT 1998

>I apologize to those of you who receive this twice.
>I need a translation for a motto in Latin for a knighting scroll:
>"they came like the tide"
>"they" refers to the knight's circle.
>Thanks!
>Ches
>AKA Chiara Francesca....

Although there are a couple of other Ansteorrans who read and/or write in
Latin, so far as I know right now I'm the one who does the most Latin
translation work.

Before asking anyone for a translation, it's a good idea to check Stefan li
Rous's Florilegium files for Latin phrases and mottos
(http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/mottoes-msg.html) -- he has quite a
collection of period mottos, modern mottos used by universities and other
institutions, plus stuff that I and others have translated.  If you come
across more examples, send 'em to Stefan as I'm sure he'd like to have them
to include in his files.

THEY [THE ORDER OF KNIGHTS] CAME LIKE A TIDE

Oh, my.  Given all the modern colloquial meanings of "they came" this could
be a *very* interesting translation!  ;-)  Kind of puts one in mind of a
group of adolescent boys in a circle...

OK, leaving the assorted rude interpretations, I assume you are indicating
that these knights arrived with overwhelming force, unstoppable like the tide.

Your phrase would be:

[Comitatus] similes aestui pervenerunt.

Or the ruder version: [Comitatus] similes aestui emiserunt.

GLOSSARY
comitatus, comitatus (4th declension masculine noun) "warrior band, order
of knights, escort, retinue, court, company"

Eques, Equitis (3rd declension i-stem masculine noun) "knight, middle
class, bourgeoise"

eques, equitis (3rd declension i-stem masculine noun) "horseman,
cavalryman, trooper, rider"

equestris dignitas (phrase) "knighthood, the rank of knighthood"

equester, equestris, equestre  (adj) "knightly, cavalry, equestrian, middle
class, bourgeois"

equis virisque (phrase) "with might and main"

venio, venire, veni, ventum (fourth conjugation verb) "to come."  3rd
person plural, perfect tense: venerunt "they came"

pervenio, pervenire, perveni, perventum (fourth conjugation verb) "to come
to, reach, come up, arrive" 3rd person plural, perfect tense: pervenerunt
"they came, they arrived"

emitto, emittere, emisi, emissum (third conjugation verb) "to come,
ejaculate, discharge, shoot, hurl, send out, let escape" 3rd person plural,
perfect tense: emiserunt "they came, they ejaculated"

similis, simile + dative (3rd declension 2-termination i-stem adj) "like,
similar to, resembling"

instar + genitive (indecl. preposition) "like, equal to, as large as, as
good as"

tamquam (conjugation) "like, as, just as, as much as"

velut (conjugation) "like, as, just as, even as"

aestus, aestus (fourth declension masculine noun) "the tide, surge,
billows, heat, agitation, sultriness, raging, seething, passion"

cc: Stefan li Rous for his Florilegium files

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)