ANST - Risk taking ("Ronald Day")

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Tue Nov 3 08:05:02 PST 1998

Greetings again from Michael Silverhands:

I am very glad that my post yesterday is inspiring thought and discussion.
That was my intent! Bear, your comments are VERY valid in my opinion, and lead
me to the following statement:

Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> Let's extend the question.  You are the employee's supervisor.  You are
> officially informed that the employee violated the terms of employment by
> comforting the child (happy ending as per the tale).  What is the "right"
> way to handle the situation?
>
> A Seneschal's dilemmas are often similar to that of the supervisor.  Do you
> take action or not?  If you do, what is the correct action?  Remember that
> the position is constrained by law and the corporate rules.  It is a public
> office and the holder needs to act for the good of the organization rather
> than for the benefit of any individual.  What defines "right" for the
> actions of an office?
>
> Bear

You have touched on the heart of what I was getting at. When you take an
office, you swear an OATH to uphold the duties of the office to the best of
your ability. Sometimes that oath - to uphold both the rules of the Society
and of the land - places you at odds with what seems "right" to YOU. My point
is for us to remember our duty to our office, and not dismiss it lightly; but
also not to forget that the organization exists to serve and protect US, NOT
the other way around. If, as an office holder, I ever find it's become more
important to perpetuate my office than to serve those whose trust I hold, then
I feel it's time for me to re-examine my priorities.

You point out very eloquently that (almost) nothing we do happens in a
vaccuum. Our decisions affect others, whether we want them to or not. I only
meant to ask each of us to bear this in mind; make the best decisions we can;
realize that not all decisions are easy; but make them with a whole heart, and
in the end you will be better able to look yourself in the mirror.

To put this in a more mundane perspective: I think we would be better served
if our politicians worried more about doing a good job than about getting
re-elected at any cost.

We each have to ask ourselves "What harm will come of my decision? What good?"
Obviously, if something I was thinking of doing would cause great or lasting
harm to Stargate, Ansteorra, or the Society as we know it, I'd better think
again! But, if it will only cost me someone's opinion of me, but will achieve
a greater good in the long run (in my opinion), that might be a sacrifice I
would be willing to make. It all boils down to balancing duty with honor and
obligation - not an easy thing to do at times.

I'll close with one of my favorite quotes (as best I remember it), attributed
to Abraham Lincoln: "Any man can rise to meet adversity. But if you really
want to test a man's character, give him power."

Michael