ANST - Re: BG - Tourney d'Amore

Thu Nov 5 04:18:31 PST 1998

> I'm certain that we could have come up with a sort of premise for using
> the
> barrier (fighting ship to ship over a railing or something) but no one at
> the time could think up anything plausible.
>
> Ritter Dieterich Kempenich

If verisimilitude is the goal, rapiers are not the weapon for a boarding
action.  The scene would probably resemble a mixed melee with projectile
weapons (bows, crossbows, firearms), boarding pikes for cutting your way
aboard, and axes and heavy choppers like the cutlass for the fight.

The only historical action I can think of where rapiers played a significant
role was Lt. Mainard's capture of Blackbeard, which is OOP.

Fighting across a barrier isn't a rapier thing, but putting up two barriers
and fighting in the constraints of the corridor is and might be acceptable
to the participants.

Bear