ANST - SPAM

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Nov 5 16:30:56 PST 1998

Sp1ke (sp1ke at gte.net) said something that sounded like:
> Perhaps you only received messages with 1 line of the SPAM in them,
> but I received 9 posts that had the complete SPAM advertisement in them
> from the Ansteorra lists.

Was this multiple lists or one list? I know that none of the regional
lists got it, but there are 33 lists (51 including digests) hosted on
the Ansteorra.org server.

Either way, this particlar type of SPAM will be forwarded to the
different list administrators for approval or junking and not to the
lists. This is the case with any new SPAM that makes it onto one of the
lists and I know about it. This makes for a very extensive set of filters
that are difficult to make match SPAM without blocking legitimate traffic.

As well, there is a very extensive list of sites that are known
SPAMmers that is maintained and checked against. Even if list members
use those hosts, other users from those sites are not allowed to post.
This causes a catch-22 for some people, but it's easily resolved.

I'm sorry that I am not able to block 100% of the SPAM, but I do as best
as I can while still allowing free flow of information for those people
who need to communicate.

In Service,