ANST - Risk taking ("Ronald Day")

Tue Nov 3 07:14:05 PST 1998

> I attended a Seneschal's class where the teacher said that the art of
> politics was "keeping as many people as possible as happy as possible for
> as long as possible."  My question about doing what was _right_ was
> summarily dismissed.  It is a comfort and a relief to know that the ideal
> of  "right" is still respected and upheld by some people in power.
>
> Joanna

This post is not meant to denigrate anyone's choices or their opinions about
what is "right."  It does make some comments and asks some questions which
may lead to a heated exchange.  If you wish to flame me about the contents,
please direct your messages to:  terryd at health.state.ok.us  so as not to
disturb the list.

I'm not so quick to say that comforting the child was "right" or "wrong".
It was a choice based on a moral dilemma, comfort the child and violate the
terms of one's employment (fealty) or ignore the child and obey the
directions of the employer.  In the tale, the employer was displayed
negatively, emotionally loading the choice against the employer, and setting
the reader up for the happy ending at the employer's expense.

In view of the happy outcome, comforting the child may be the proper action.
If you did not know the outcome, an equally possible ending is that the
employee was charged with child molestation and McDonalds was sued.  Would
the employee's actions have been proper had that happened?

Let's extend the question.  You are the employee's supervisor.  You are
officially informed that the employee violated the terms of employment by
comforting the child (happy ending as per the tale).  What is the "right"
way to handle the situation?

A Seneschal's dilemmas are often similar to that of the supervisor.  Do you
take action or not?  If you do, what is the correct action?  Remember that
the position is constrained by law and the corporate rules.  It is a public
office and the holder needs to act for the good of the organization rather
than for the benefit of any individual.  What defines "right" for the
actions of an office?

BTW, I have been seneschal a couple of times.  I have been a manager and
supervisor.  I do not support the idea that the art of politics is "keeping
as many people as possible as happy as possible for as long as possible."
You can not do it and be effective in the long run.

Bear