ANST - Medieval Food, clothing, tents and German armor

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Nov 5 17:07:05 PST 1998

Lady Annora von Kohler stated:

> I would personally rather see something concerning the
> topic of the list myself, so would you humor a lady and find a topic we
> would all enjoy....say period cooking on sites with period recipes, 15th
> century german garb ideas, German armor ideas...even better where to find a
> period tent  that doesn't leak and the poles don't break!!

Well, you might want to look at some of the files in my Stefan's Florilegium.

For a bunch of period recipes check these sections:

FEASTS
  Which has lots of useful info for headcooks and others doing SCA feasts
  including period recipes and menus including Gunthar's recent 12th Night
  Feast.
FOOD
  Which includes many period recipes and redactions divided up by various
  food categories. This file, soon to be expanded, might be of particular
  interest to you, Annora:

fd-Germany-msg     (9K)  4/29/98    Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.

FOOD-SWEETS
  Lots of info and recipes for sotelities, candy, cookies and some good info
  on the history of sugar and other sweeteners.

For clothing information check the files in the CLOTHING and the TEXTILE ARTS
sections. These files in the CLOTHING section might be useful to you:

cl-Germany-msg    (10K)  9/17/98    Clothing of Medieval Germany.
hoops-msg         (23K)  6/27/97    Period and SCA hoopskirts. Hoop sources.
corsets-msg       (66K)  4/13/98    Tudor and Elizabethian corsets. making them.
Houppelande-art   (42K)  6/22/98    "The Houppelande C. 1355-1450”
                                       by Allison Poinvillars de Tours.

For lots of info on tents including tent poles check the files in the
DWELLINGS section. I doubt I should list all 15 or so of the files having
to do with period tents here.

While there is a section on COMBAT, I don't think there is a lot there specific
to German armor. Of course, if Ditter or someone wants to write me an article
on German medieval armor, I'd love to consider it for adding to these files.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Lord Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra