ANST - Re: BG - Tourney d'Amore

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Thu Nov 5 19:35:25 PST 1998

Thank you for responding, Dieterich.  It's good to hear from someone who
was there, even if you weren't one of  the people that had objections to
it.  The impression I got was that enough people griped about the
suggestion that it was discarded.  If that is the case, those people were
wrong regardless of their intent.  They were guests and, as such, should
have been courteous at least.  As I said, this is the impression I have
gotten concerning the events and I have yet to hear anything to the
contrary.

Now about the explanation, it sounds like someone citing a lot of research
to get their way.  Rapiers weren't used at the barriers, great swords
were.  I ask you, have you ever fought at the barriers with something
other than great sword?  If you did, did someone have a problem with it
because it wasn't normally done that way?  I'm all for making efforts for
historical accuracy, but common sense has to draw the line somewhere.

Obviously, if it was felt that a thrusting weapon wasn't appropriate for
the barriers, there must have been a reason for them to think that.  The
best explanation I can think of is that they tried it and found that it
didn't work out well.  Or maybe there was just a royal or clerical edict
against it.

My point is that rather than giving it a try and perhaps finding out that
the exercise was demanding, challanging, and enjoyable, the idea was
shouted down.  If this was not the case, please enlighten me, either
publicly or privately.

How's this for a tournament idea.  The bouts are fought on a 10x10 field.
Extension kill range the entire fight.  A lot similar to both fighters
being legged.  Virtually no movement.  You are at the mercy of your
defense.

				Ansgar