ANST - yurt/gher resources ....

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Fri Nov 6 15:11:05 PST 1998

On 6 Nov 98, at 12:45, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Thank you, Blackwolf.
>
> Wish I could come up with a good system to let you and others know when
> something new of interest to them has been added.

i just make it a point to drift through once a month and see if there's
anything new in the catgories i'm interested in.  one area i've found your
system to be excellent for is scanning through for new keywords / related
concepts to widen / narrow larger scope meta-searches.

> Unfortunately, not a whole lot of new stuff lately. I will be adding the
> message with the three URLs posted here recently. I have pasted the one
> other new message I have that has yet to be added below.

i tend to high;ight save those messages in the my
"\scadian\internet\resources" email storage hierarchy ... useful as sort of
semi-index (hint: a good index that could be requested would be helpful ...)

> One question on the treated wood you mentioned. How flexible is it? That
> latice work needs some give otherwise it will shatter rather than flex in
> the wind. Perhaps the joints will give that.

actually, it's not treated at all ... it's a man-made, "engineered" material
made from recycled wood fibers and polymers.  it's made in numerous
extruded shapes including the standard "dimensional".  first saw it used on
some of the home improvement shows in decking applications.  tried it out
last summer helping a friend build a dock and was rather impressed.  it
does flex, but not as much as wood (run-on joints don't necessarily require
line-up on a support beam).  tried to break some 2x4 stock ... i can kick a
woooden 2x4 in half easily, but could'nt phase this stuff.

> Don't know. Wondering if the treated wood is more brittle,
> particularly after ageing and UV exposure. When treating 2 x 4s
> used in a deck, the manufactuer may not be concerned about this but
> with your thin slats with holes drilled at the greatest stress
> points, this might be a concern.

from the technical documentation that i've researched from the
manufacturers, UV degradation isn't a issue, nor is heat/cold cycling.  plus
side of making your own lathes, you can control the size so you don't
weaken the structure by drillingthe pivot holes ...

was thinking, instead of making all lathes the same size ... mix heavier (for
main structural support) with lighter (wall support).  opinions?

question to the yurt makers ... what do you use to make these connections
- pop rivets backed with washers ??? ... one washer between the lathes to
make a smooth pivit point ???

> Now seeing you carry the yurt on the motorcycle should be interesting. :-)

don't count on it ... unless i can get a trike online, this boyo knows better
than haul a trailer with a two wheeler.  tried it once, *hated* it.  would be
doing the usual "light truck & utility trailer" setup (saved my old truck shell
for a trailer cover).  if i track on two wheels, i either count on having a place
to stay with someone else, use a small field tent, or "rough it" (on the road,
always travel with my leathers, bivysack, groundcloth, sleeping pad,
sleeping bag, and at least one of the cloaks)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves