ANST - re: tent pole materials ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Fri Nov 6 15:11:04 PST 1998

On 6 Nov 98, at 12:21, Casey&Coni wrote:

> Wolf,
>
> the only place I've ever even *seen* ash is in the Museum Reps catalogue
> for an exhorbitant price.  If you find anything else, please let me know.

have three of those standing in the corner for future use ... for the throwing
javelins, i favor using ash replacment tool handles (can often find them at
Academy for cheap).  found some nifty rounding tools (like big pencil
sharpeners) and wanted to try my hand at making shafts by ripping down
dimensional lumber on a table saw into a square ... then knocking off the
corners into a octagon, then using the shapers to make round hafts.
something i've never done and want to see how it all works out.

i know the stuff (dimensional ash) is available ... years ago had two spear
heads mounted by a local carpenter (tried to contact for sources, no joy).
he ended up making the hafts too large in diameter (dosn't fit my hand
comfortably, balance is all wrong, and they fly like lead ducks) ... so as of
this week i now have two *heavy* ash quarter staves / hiking staffs (cut off
heads at bottom socket, drilled out most of wood, burned out rest with
torch ...).  planning on remounting on the smaller ash hafts (seeking them
this weekend) for a matched set of three medium throwing javelins.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves