ANST - DPSCLU,Local153 - Pavise Design Notes

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Wed Nov 11 23:45:15 PST 1998

Ozy, notes toward a name are *way* down there at the end.

> I would like to hear from some combat archers about a good size
for a
> pavase. It has been suggested to me that they be arm-pit high to
allow
> shooting over as well as around.

Caveat: I'm not currently authorized as a combat archer, and I
think
even my fighter's card has lapsed (been too darn busy
w/mundanities).
Second Caveat: none of my suggestions have been fully field-tested,
or vetted against the War Rules.  BOTH would be required before
Gulf War.

THAT being said, I suggest that our troops in the assault probably
need some of both types, and see below for notes on a "short"
pavise.
I've shot around / over a pavise in a test-run through the IKCAC
and
must say this is a skill-set which deserves significant practice.

Last I knew, pavise were penetrated/destroyed by any siege rock
hit and some ballista fire, and considered impervious to arrow
or javelin fire. Double-check the War Rules before planning to
use these mobile barricades!

> In all things I build I rely apon tricks I learned in the Theatre
and I
> think a pavase could be made exactly like a standard set piece:
1x4 or 1x3
> frame w/ 1/4 ply corner blocks covered in muslin and painted to
spec w/ a
> hinged leg in the center to keep it upright. It would weigh only
a couple
> pounds, but may be susceptible to wind...
> comments? suggestions?

Legs on both sides provide more stability and versatility. Muslin
cover
wouldn't gain much in terms of strength -- is it really any easier
maintain or paint than the bare plywood?  A central horizontal
crossbar
both increases strength and provides an improved attachment point
for one-man-carry handles (and can also reinforce the "ideal" side
handle points) If the central crossbar extends past the sides of
the
vertical pavise, it can be used directly as both of the handles --
which could possibly be connected temporarily on the field for even

more stability.

Wheels, or maybe even skids, improve mobility. Otherwise, make
the handles OBVIOUS -- I remember a plan where the check-rope
on the side legs doubled as handles for two-man carries. (Hrmm.
My terminology may not be common / accurate. "Check-rope":
cord used to keep leg from opening too widely. If equipped with
prepared knots and wrapped into a notch on the leg, can provide
pre-sets for different conditions)

Consider the following: a short pavise which can be pushed
forward while the user(s) maintain firing posture. Either wheel or
skid
mounted, with semi-fixed frames on either side of the span and
the upper edge reinforced / padded / rigged so the forward thrust
comes from the abdomen. Visualize a stomach-high wall slanted
at roughly 45 degrees above horizontal and providing cover from
stomach to ground, right-triangle frames on each end...

Building from 3/4 inch ply with two-by frame and bolting the
frame on gives the possibity of use as a short ramp when
properly braced. Double-check the rules on both pavise and
ramp before opting for multi-role models, please. The frames
mentioned for the self-pushed short pavise become load
bearing trusses in the ramp mode.

> -0zymandias Breakstock,Squire to Sir Maximillian
> (still looking for a new name)

German, 16th cent? Any particular area of the Germanies?  Any
particular desired initials, allusions, ain't-no-way names?
Completely off the top o' me head, without consulting a single
"respectable" documentation source, howzabout Otto Behrenmann?

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (Steppes, Ansteorra)
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com