ANST - Siege devices

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:13:50 PST 1998

Ramps would need to be at least 12 feet long.  The bottoms of the wall
embrasures are 6 feet off the ground, so a 12 foot ramp would give a 50
percent slope.

The fighting platforms used in our assaults last year were about 6 feet
wide at the top, so men could flank the embrasures and try to cover the
men going through.  That's a good idea, but for setting up flanking
positions of that type, we don't need big, heavy platforms.  All we need
are the ramps and beside them, some boxes or short stepladder-type
devices.  These platforms should be just high enough to allow the
flankers to reach over the wall.  They would be easy to make from 2x4's,
and it would be a lot easier to move a ramp and a couple of stepladders
than a 3-man-wide platform.

       Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra