ANST - DPSCLU,Local153

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Fri Nov 13 15:41:54 PST 1998

adams, ozy wrote:

> I would like to hear from some combat archers about a good size for a
> pavase. It has been suggested to me that they be arm-pit high to allow
> shooting over as well as around.
> In all things I build I rely apon tricks I learned in the Theatre and I
> think a pavase could be made exactly like a standard set piece: 1x4 or 1x3
> frame w/ 1/4 ply corner blocks covered in muslin and painted to spec w/ a
> hinged leg in the center to keep it upright. It would weigh only a couple
> pounds, but may be susceptible to wind...
> comments? suggestions?

I don't feel that even glued muslin will last long under a ballista
bolt... it will probably go right through... you might look into 1/8"
masonite or louan(a 1/8" thick plywood...pronounced lo-ahn) they should
not add too much weight and would add all of the protection an archer
would need...you also would not have to corner block them and could put
them together with liquid nails for wood...except the hinge

Alrek