ANST - Re: BG - Fwd: RN- Ansteorran Academy of the Courtier

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Nov 18 08:47:01 PST 1998

On 17 Nov 98, at 17:28, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> No, you were not. As an 1150's Anglo-Norman I was a bit insulted by the
> implications that the event was better without earlier personas, or
> newbies for that matter. While I agree that it is nice not to hear talk
> about computers and startrek at an event, I found have that as likely to
> issue from long the mouths of long time players such as barons, knights
> and kings as from newcomers, who are often swept up in the spirit of the
> event.

the tone of the origional, whether intended or not, points to a major problem
within the society that drives out many existing members, turns away new
ones, and gives the whole society a very bad reputation to insiders and
outsiders ... factional politics.

a bit of friendly "culture bashing" within reasonable boundaries is
acceptable as long as all understand that it's a joke.  but when statements
are made that a event was better without certain indiduals or groups, that
causes and perpetaute rifts that create factions .. in time those factions
pull into their own boundaries and start setting themselves above and apart
from others.  the next stage is a further devolution into "we're better then
them" and the "us vs them" process is set in stone.  if the faction grows,
then the groups in question are forced out and the game is changed in favor
of those more into the politics ... downside, you drive away valuable and
creative people at a loss to the society as a whole.

next time you turn away or denegrate another person or group becuase
they don't fit into your idea of what the game is, stop and ask yourself what
*you* are losing by your words or actions.  unless you can tolerate other
pathways, why should you expect anyone to tolerate your choices?  how
will you feel when the winds change and *you* become the convenient
scapegoat?

'wolf
... who has seen this in action for many, many years ...