ANST - Some thoughts on PC and Politics

Robert_Smetek at veritasdgc.com Robert_Smetek at veritasdgc.com
Thu Nov 19 11:18:09 PST 1998

Howdy Y'all,

>Has the PC bug hit our
>organization that much?  I'm sure there's someone who will find fault or
>insult at anything  that gets posted, said, or done.  Do we have to watch
>our words so carefully, least our friends take exception to some little
>something we may say?

I believe that Poul Anderson said it best in The Man-Kzin Wars that when
Gresham's law prevails the bad drive out the good.

Now before you start flaming me, I believe that the SCA has made a grand
effort to keep PC down to a sane level and before you ask me what makes me
an expert on when PC and Politics has been taken to far, you should know a
little about my past. I used to be a Civil War and WW2 reenactor before the
things I witnessed drove me out. For the most part, I had fun for many
years before I started to notice some changes that I didn't like. For the
most part the changes and annoyances were small so I didn't think twice
about them until I started to look around for all the really kool people
who took me under there wing when I first showed up and then I was told
that they had been driven off. I don't mean that they just decided to quiet
or that they didn't have the time anymore, they were snubbed and looked
down upon and made to feel unwelcome. If anyone wants to disagree with my
OPINIONS, that's your right but if you say I don't know what I'm talking
about, I'll bring my witnesses and you can bring yours and we'll compare
notes. I always have the fear that on day I'm going to go to an SCA event,
look around for friends that I can no longer find, and discover that no one
there has ever heard of the Dream.

Seeya,

BlackAngus McNeil

Head of the House of the Meandering Bovines