ANST - Bored at Crown or Any Other Event

Ward, Christie viking at khan.quadralay.com
Thu Nov 19 22:45:31 PST 1998

Sael og heil!

I lay awake last night for the longest time considering the comments from
those who are bored silly by any aspect of the SCA:

-- non-fighters who think watching the fighting is boring
-- stick-jocks who wouldn't dream of attending an A&S competition
-- early period folk who think attending a later period event is a waste of
time and resources
-- late period folk who think attending an earlier period event is a waste
of  time and resources
-- those who hate melees avoiding wars and melee events
-- those who hate single combat avoiding tourneys

etc, etc. ad nauseam

Over my twenty years or so in the SCA, I have started to see a cycle in
people's SCA developments.  Some people move through this cycle faster or
slower than others, some skip a step, while others get stuck in one place
forever, but the general pattern is valid:

(1) Wow!  I am starry eyed and lost in the Dream!

(2) I saw some shit and now I am totally disillusioned.

(3) I got over my disillusionment, but now I'm bored.  Why aren't you people
putting on events that will entertain egocentric me?

(4) I got over trying to be a total spectator and tried lending a hand,
helping out at events, even planning events -- you know, not only is this
not so bad, working for the betterment of the group is fun, and better yet,
I am not bored anymore!  I can now have a say in what sorts of events we do,
so I like the events better!

Those of you who are complaining about events boring you, or not suiting
your persona, or what have you, why aren't you in there lending a hand and
helping plan and pitch events yourself?

You want an Early Celtic Clan Games? You want authentic late-period silks
and velvets, dancing and rapier combat?  You want Viking feasting?  Scots
border raids?  High Medieval Courts?  Late period German ostentation?  Or
whatever?  Why don't you find an experienced autocrat who will co-autocrat
with you and learn how to put on an event yourself?

You will only get out of the SCA as much as you are willing to put in of
yourself.  Look at the people who have been playing this game for ten or
twenty or thirty years now -- you won't see anyone sitting around waiting
for *other people* to make their fun happen.  The old timers enjoy fun where
they find it, and if they ain't finding it, by golly they make some fun!

It is integral to the survival of the organization itself that people pitch
in and help -- not for awards, but for the benefit of the group.  Awards
alone can't motivate people to do the kind of work, unpaid and unthanked,
that makes the SCA go (though they are nifty thank you's for services
rendered).

Next time you find yourself thinking, "I am bored",  Get UP!  Get OUT THERE!
And MAKE SOME FUN HAPPEN!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na
Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na
Hersis-Adhal)