ANST - DPSCLU, local 153: Pavises, Pavises

adams, ozy ozy at door.net
Sat Nov 21 07:22:34 PST 1998

Tomonaga San,
   A couple questions and some thoughts on the wide world of pavises. If a
pavise is struck by a ballista in combat it is destroyed, along w/ anyone
behind it, correct? Sounds like you just wanted an excuse to shoot at
something (what is it w/ siege engineers?). When you were a child did you
line up your toy soldiers, move ten feet away and lob rocks on them?

Seriously though, my pavise design is very similar to what you have
described, but instead of using lap joints I use a butt joint with a
"corner block" which is a triangular piece of 1/4' plywood about six inches
on the straight sides, glued and stapled (air guns work great here) to the
1x4's. My cloth of choice is muslin (cheap, neutral base, takes paint well)
, glued to the front and stapled to the back (it also helps to brush a thin
glue mixture on top of the muslin to really get it to "set"). My plans call
for a center brace that the upright supports and the handles are attached
to.
I really like your idea of leaving the material slack to absorb the blow,
but it might make it hard to paint (but if it works better, screw the paint
job!). One possibility is painting the center section and then attaching
the material to the frame.
I do not have a ballista to shoot at them, but I do have some frustrated
archer friends (and rocks....).
How many battles will these be used in?