ANST - What's a Seljuk

RLPortwood at aol.com RLPortwood at aol.com
Sat Nov 21 07:46:42 PST 1998

I sent an e-mail the other day on combat archery and mentioned the term
"Seljuk".  I had several people e-mail me asking what that means.  The Seljuk
Turks were nomadic tribesmen of the Islam faith that were famed for their
light-cavalry archery abilities.  Their methods were guerrilla in nature.  The
christians lost thousands to their "hit-and-run" tactics.  One good reference
book on this subject is "The Dream and the Tomb" by Robert Payne, published by
Dorsett Press, New York (1984).

I used the term "Seljuk" in reference to combat archery styles.  I feel it
would be most advantageous to incorporate both stationary archery units under
a single commander as well as 2 or 3 light-cavalry archers harrassing and
hauling butt.

In Service,

Baron Vallust