ANST - combat archery

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sat Nov 21 20:17:45 PST 1998

On 19 Nov 98,, harry billings wrote:

> Soap box alert; soap box alert.
> Three Kings is behind us and Fall Melees is just ahead, it is time for the
> combat archers to remeber that Ansteorra is NOT a touch kill Kingdom. If you
> are not wearing a white dimond you are killed like any other fighter on the
> field (thump your dead). While several of the fighters upon getting in
> weapon wange were kind enough to call me dead without hitting (thank you)
> they did not have to nor were they required to just touch me (us) with their
> weapond to kill me (us / combat archers).

I don't remember it this way from last Gulf War. Nor do I prefer it
this way. I like touch kill for archers because I do not want my
equipment to be hit and broken. Yes, I understand that I take that
risk and that I MAY get wacked even if I am suppose to be touch
kill. I'll risk it. But making me touch as long as I have a bow in my
hand means my bow is likely to live longer. In fact, given that we
are not required to wear full gauntlets I am not sure we can legally
BE full contact by SCA wide rules.

OTOH, I REALLY don't like to die just because someone got within
10 feet. Did I still have time to get away? Did I see him or was I
looking the other way? How far is 10 feet? It is silly to try and sort
all this out in combat. His weapon touches me, I am dead -- simple.

> I am calling on the CA in
> Ansteorra to yeild if a fighter is in weapon range, makes eye contact and
> calls "your dead". They have give up the chance to hit you and as a point of
> honor you (in my NSHO) should return that point of honor by yeilding. If you
> chose to not yeild you should expect to be hit not just touched.
> If you see the fighter coming before he is in weapon range then you are free
> to try to run, but should not "expect" to be touch killed or called "dead",
> rather you should expect to be hit and be gratfull for any thing less than a
> hit.

So we should stand there and die like sheep? That sounds down
right un-Ansteorran to me. I'll take touch kill as my first preference
to protect my archery weapons. If not that then I will die like a
warrior to a good sword blow. Stand like a sheep while they
approach and then beg for mercy? On my soul, I think not!

Don Christian Doré