ANST - Bored at Crown or Any Other Event

C Scot Henry henrycs at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 22 12:56:59 PST 1998

I like the ideas proposed by Mike (see below).  As a relative newcomer, my
lord and I attended a Coronation.  We looked at everything the merchant's
had, watched and learned how a few seige engines worked, were told they
needed no more help in the kitchen, played some chess and even watched a
bit of the fighting.  Then there were three - four hours before Court was
supposed to begin.  We were bored.  (The one for Their Majesties Barn and
Kat was much better).

Anyway, I'd just like to add something to this list and to other
suggestions people have made.  I agree people should pitch in with the work
- it has it's own charm (meeting new people), but we all want to go to
events to have fun, not just work.  So, why not more music and dancing?
We need more dancing in Ansteorra and what better place than Crown Tourney
or Coronation - events held to show the epitomy of chivalry and courtesy.
Unlike teaching something you know to someone else (which would also be a
fabulous idea - more classes) or playing board games which often require a
small amount of space and so can be spontaneous to some degree, dancing
requires more space which means it has to be planned for when setting up
the hall and the event.  There are numerous people throughout Ansteorra
that have the skill and desire necessary to hold dance classes at events
such as these.  I realize that most of our gentlemen would be unavailable,
but not all and usually by the time a ball is held at any event, the
fighters are tired and want to rest, the musicians and other interested
parties are exhausted from a long court, and it's usually very late.  Some
of us still dance anyway, but it might be more productive and successful to
do a good portion of the dancing in the afternoon.  It would provide
something for non-fighters, those not fighting, those not in  circles, etc.
 to do and would provide entertainment to those who just wanted to watch.
Also, officer classes might be nice so new people taking over offices
wouldn't have to find things out the hard way.

Lady Capricia
Dance enthusiast and sometimes dance teacher