ANST - combat archery

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Sun Nov 22 16:19:45 PST 1998

Gulf War by treaty was touch kill for archers with bow in hand and worked
well. Ansteorra is not a touch kill kingdom if you are on the field you die
like any other fighter. With that given if a fighter is in weapon range NOT
10' and calls me dead without hitting me I will yeild, my option, it takes
as long to establish eye contact and say archer you're dead waith for him to
acknowledge that he is dead as it dose to come up on an archers and touch
him may be longer.
SCA combat archery rules, or at least the new draft rules,and Ansteorra
require half gauntlet on the string hand and full gauntlet on the bow hand.

>I don't remember it this way from last Gulf War. Nor do I prefer it
>this way. I like touch kill for archers because I do not want my
>equipment to be hit and broken. Yes, I understand that I take that
>risk and that I MAY get wacked even if I am suppose to be touch
>kill. I'll risk it. But making me touch as long as I have a bow in my
>hand means my bow is likely to live longer. In fact, given that we
>are not required to wear full gauntlets I am not sure we can legally
>BE full contact by SCA wide rules.
>
>OTOH, I REALLY don't like to die just because someone got within
>10 feet. Did I still have time to get away? Did I see him or was I
>looking the other way? How far is 10 feet? It is silly to try and sort
>all this out in combat. His weapon touches me, I am dead -- simple.

No if you see them coming get behind other fighters, e & e, just under stand
unless and or untill Ansteorra changes their combat archery rulles you die
like any other fighter if the other fighter so choese. I would pick touch as
the perfered way to kill ca with bow in hand, but that is not the rules at
this time. Unless/untill the rules change if a fighter calls me dead with
weapon reange I will yeild, becouse he does not have to and is IMHO showing
me a courtesy by doing so.