ANST - Stefan's files for December

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Nov 23 14:53:30 PST 1998

Greetings,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium files article meant for December publication.

If any of you are editors and would like to get this article series on the
fifth of the month rather than later, please send me email giving me your
name, email address, group name and newsletter name and I will add you to my
list.

If anyone has suggestions, comments or complaints please feel free to send
me a message and I will consider it. If you publish this article, I would
like to get a message saying this so I can track whether it is of use or not.

Thanks.
  Stefan

-----------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eight years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of
useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted
to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others,
I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan’s Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in the Important Stuff section
of the website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word 6.0 or text formats.

Please be aware that often there is a delay between my announcement of
a new file and it’s becoming available at the website.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at texas.net
    Ansteorra                             RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

butter-msg          Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
camp-kitchens-msg   Camp kitchen ideas for SCA use.
clothng-forms-msg   Commercial and homemade clothing forms.
cookbooks3-bib      Cookbook bibliography by Lady Allison.
courtly-love-bib    Bibliography on Courtly Love.
dumplings-msg       Period dumplings. Recipes.
fd-Arthur-msg       Food referances in the King Arthur legends.
fd-Greece-msg       Food of medieval Greece. referances.
fd-Poland-msg       Food of period Poland. Referances.
Lamoral-art         "Lamoral, Count of Egmont (the Spanish-Dutch
                       war, part I)" by Jan van Seist.
lavender-msg        Period use of Lavender in food and elsewhere
Oertha-hist-msg     Histories of the Principality of Oertha.
p-kitchens-msg      Period kitchens and kitchen staff.
p-thts-animls-msg   Period thoughts on and behavior to animals.
pilgrimages-msg     Medieval pilgrimages and pilgrims.
Run-a-Feast-art     "About Running a Feast" by Minna Gantz.

The winter holiday season is fast approaching. The following files are some of
those that have information that might be useful during this season:

12th-nite-msg       12th Night celebrations.
candy-msg           Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
candles-msg         Candle snuffers, making candles, wax, tallow
caudles-art         A medieval drink of warm wine or beer
                       thickened with eggs by Tibor.
cloaks-msg          Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
holidays-msg        Halloween, Samhain, other Medieval holidays.
kniting-msg         Period kniting.
largess-ideas-msg   Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty gifts.
merch-books-msg     Directory and reviews of book merchants.
puddings-msg        Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
St-Nicholas-art     Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
Sugarplums-art      "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
wassail-msg         Spiced cider and ale drinks.
Xmas-art            "The True Meaning of Xmas".
Yule-msg            Yule celebrations.
---
Copyright 1998, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformating is allowed.

<end>