Fw: ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

Merrik Viltar Har Marrock at email.msn.com
Tue Nov 24 13:35:14 PST 1998

Posted by request...

-----Original Message-----
From: Angus <angus at okom.net>
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 2:19 PM

This was sent to me for my comments so here they are:

>> Snip<<
>>Ashril Khebte'ut Khan
>>Azrael at cyber-wizard.com
>> Would you strike a man on the list field who had dropped his sword
>> and shield?
on the list field no.... but archers arn't allowed in the list
in a melee I will.. and have.. hit un-armed foes, its part of the game

>>...or any other helpless opponent?

weaponless is not helpless

>>....I really dont think winning is worth my honor
>>this game is not about winning it is about how you play
>>if more people would figure this out it would end silly discusions like
this
>>one ....and striking a helpless opponent should be beneath us all.

I can agree with that

>>HE Octavia has killed me more than once from a distance..

Somebody better Tell Sir Daffid that Octavia is a He....heehee

She has killed me countless times also.

>> How does it make you a better fighter to run down an archer, and instead
>>of declaring him dead,
I would have no problems with Non combatant archers if they would die when I
get within 10 feet of them, but when I chase them down and call them dead
...I am right behind you your dead.. but they run away and continue to shoot
at me.. next time I will TOUCH them so there is no question of range..

>>"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with
>>virtuous intentions. Mercenaries may be excellent soldiers, but an action
>>that may be praised in soldier may be blamed in a knight. For the Soldier
>>the goal is victory; For the knight, since he is ready to go if necessary
>>certain destruction, the goal is honor." Pomponio Torelli ,1596
This is a nice quote but in our society I have come to realize that truth of
the matter is purly the opposite Not all but...  most of the knights are out
for the win.. Glory by body count... we must win this war..

By contrast most of the Mercs and non-recognized fighters are still in it
for the fun. We go we fight some times an ass tries to interfear with our
fun, but that is the difference between war and tourney.

In tourney your stuck fighting this guy in front of you.... in a war  if he
won't take your best shot, move down the line, the next guy might be a
little more honorable.

Even though this is off the subject of Combat archers it is leading back to
it. If an archer refuses to be called dead, then he puts all archers in
danger of being struck. This game is tough, It takes a lot of Body and Soul
to play. I refuse to slow down for the merging traffic. Get it up to speed,
Choose a lane, Heavy, Light, or sit on the shoulder but dont step out in the
fast lane, You will get run down.

I salute armed archers. I have carried a Bastard Sword in my Quiver and a
throwing ax. It can be a lot of fun. But I also don't like traveling hours
from home and spending a lot of money to go somewhere and never get in the
game. Spears can be bad enough but archers can surly whizz on your day..
there is ENOUGH time and places for all of us to have fun.

Also while we are on the subject of archers...............................
At 3 kings there were several fighters AND ARCHERS in wheel chairs. I think
this is great. They were truly playing the game and having fun. I watched 1
guy just clobber the phoo out of several folks. I didnt run acrost him my
self but I wouldn't have given him any special leave.. He would probably not
want it, but on the other hand some one was saying not to hit the less able
archers I think the quote was "Don't kill them , Let them have fun too"

Aint that kinda like playing Duke Nukem with the cheat codes. The biggest
part of the fun is Living thru the battle.... OR NOT... and getting killed
by that really good shot. from that guy( or Gal .... who can telll).

Well thats my 2 scheckles.

Angus MacKnochard
Anda Great Dark Horde
1/3 Northkeep Power and Light