ANST - Risk taking ("Ronald Day")

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Tue Nov 3 07:16:16 PST 1998

Unto those good gentles to whom these presents come,
But more especially unto the lady Joanna and BlackAngus McNeil,
Greetings from Michael Silverhands:

Calling the roll of all the heroes of Ansteorra would, thankfully, make for a
long missive! Although I certainly agree with your inclusion of William
Blackfox in such a roll, it was not my intention to be exhaustive in my brief
list; merely to cite a few well-known examples in order to make a point.

Further, although there are a few "heroes" who were widely known and are thus
now widely acclaimed as such - even by those who never met them in life! -
there are many, many more who are "heroes" to but a few. Not because they were
any less a "hero", but because for one reason or another (limited travel,
short involvement in the SCA, etc.) they only touched a few lives. And let us
not forget those "heroes" who thankfully still walk among us! YOU may be
someone's hero, because of something you did one day, and not even be aware of it.

Rather than attempt to compile an exhaustive list of everyone worthy of the
title, "Hero", I would challenge each of us to maintain our own private list
of those who touched our lives, who showed us what it's like to do great
things simply because "That's what heroes do." Then, I challenge us each to do
our best to measure up to the standards they set, so that when they pass on
the flag there will be others standing tall enough to carry it.

Finally, I would remind us all that none of us are perfect, and our greatest
heroes all had one thing in common: they had bad days, too. So, if you stumble
in your quest for greatness, don't write yourself off as a failure. Some of
our GREATEST heroes are those who picked themselves up after a fall, and rose
above it. Be courageous! But show compassion, too (even to yourself).

Michael