ANST - Medieval Food, clothing, tents and German armor

RAISYA at aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 05:48:51 PST 1998

OK, I'll be bringing all the copies I have this weekend.

Achillies Von Hutton,

I'll mail a copy to you this next week.  Two of the lists are 14th century.
None of the lists are specifically 12th century, but the 9th century
Charlemagne list would almost certainly have been available to a 12th century
German, and certainly had a major influence on what was grown.  I'd also
recommend this site, with the earliest known German language cookbook:

Ein Buch von guter spise (c. 1345 to 1354)
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/akatlas/Buch/buch.html

The earliest German garden book (or health manual, unclear which) I have
tracked down is HORTUS SANITATIS (or possibly called GART DER GESUNDHEIT),
Peter Schoeffer, Mainz, 1485.  However, the title and a few of the woodcuts
are all I've found so far.

Raisya