ANST - Ramps

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at texas.net
Wed Nov 11 21:43:24 PST 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

'wolf says:

>at 45 degree's, would'nt that more properly be "siege stairs" (g) ...
>suggestion, for a ramp that people have to walk up safely 30 degress
>should be about maximum
>
>design suggestion ... open framework on wheels that could be assembled
>on site, with pavasses (sp?) front and sides ... with crew inside to push it
>forward ... more of a ramped "tower", but i seem to remember seeing
>something like that in a siege engineer text somewhere down the line.
>
>for that matter you need some sort of railing anyway (reasonable if over 3
>feet tall) ... add similar protection side and top to protect beaching
forces
>("the bridges of ansteorra county") ... could be clever and design so that
>the field pavasse's could fit into this engine when needed
>
>hint: drape outside with "wet leather" (burlap sacking) so the enemy can't
>get creative and tie a few red streamers to their ballista bolts / archery
>arrows to calin "burnning" your engine / defensive pavasse's
>
>and for pure humour sake ... why not add a snout, beady eye's, and tail

Cute.  But the Trimaran ramps are a lot simpler and more functional.  Their
just ramps--no rise, just a twelve foot (I think?) reinforced plank that
hooks onto the wall between the battlements.  I think they had rope handles
on either side to facilitate dragging.  Our Northern region had a pair of
mini-tower-cum-ramp thingies that were nowhere near as effective as the
enemy's ramps.

And I'm looking into the transportation problem, Ozy.  I'll let you know.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace