ANST - Re: BG - Fwd: RN- Ansteorran Academy of the Courtier

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Nov 17 15:28:41 PST 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> On 17 Nov 98, at 16:16, Aceia at aol.com wrote:
>
> > I would just like to point out, I don't know your definition of 'Celts'
> > and I don't mean to nitpick,  but there were several people of Celtic
> > (namely Scottish) origin at the event.  We are late period Scotts, but
> > nonetheless we were there.  Connor McClure, Conor Sigmundsson, Brian Erin
> > Cameron and a stately looking gentleman named 'Peter' (I think he was
> > Scottish - he had a clan pin on his tam) to name a few others.... Not all
> > 'Celts' are early period!
>
> so i would gather it wasn't just me that found parts of the origional post
> insulting and derogatory ...
>
> 'wolf

No, you were not. As an 1150's Anglo-Norman I was a bit insulted by the
implications that the event was better without earlier personas, or
newbies for that matter. While I agree that it is nice not to hear talk
about computers and startrek at an event, I found have that as likely to
issue from long the mouths of long time players such as barons, knights
and kings as from newcomers, who are often swept up in the spirit of the
event.

I did make an effort to blend in, leaving my Norman tunics at home and
wearing simple pants and a shirt, so perhaps I wasn't seen as such.
Even if it was 400 years past my time period, I still found the classes
and activities interesting.

I did not get the feeling at the event that earlier personas were in
a place they shouldn't be. I took the message as one person's opinion,
not that of those putting on the event.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net