ANST - Field test: cloth pavises

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 14:48:45 PST 1998

If anyone is interested in making things for the Gulf War, I just
finished some testing on cloth pavises.

I made two pavises, each 3 feet square, using 1x2's.  The corners were
just lap joints, held together by woodworker's glue and 2 finishing
nails each (I deliberately built these things light).

Pavise #1 was covered with a double layer of calico, #2 by a single
layer of trigger.  In both cases the cloth was just laid on the floor,
the frame put on top, and the cloth was folded over the edges and
attached to the backs of the frames.  I made no attempt to stretch the
cloth, because it will work better for stopping projectiles if it is a
bit slack.

On #1, the cloth was stapled (heavy-duty) at 2" intervals.  On #2, three
sides were stapled, and on the fourth side the cloth was attached by a
heavy application of woodworker's glue, and the cloth pressed while
drying to work the glue into the fabric.

The pavises were supported by 1x4's that were screwed to the tops of the
frames, and staked at the far ends.  They were set up so they were
slanted back at about 5 degrees, and faced so they were perpendicular to
the line of fire from my ballista.  I tried to set up the props so they
were directly in line with the line of fire.  On #2 (trigger), the glued
edge was placed at the top.

I shot at them using unstuffed GT bolts from a measured range of 20
yards.  The ballista is one that I know from tests will throw such bolts
90 yards in calm air.  There was a pretty stiff tail wind on each shot.

I stopped and gauged the condition of the pavises from time to time.
Results in order of firing:

Pavise #1 (doubled calico):

  2 hits on the fabric, second very near upper left corner.  The cloth
tore lose from 3 staples on the left side on the second shot.
  1 hit also very near upper left corner.  The glue at the corner let go
and the nails pulled about halfway out.
  1 hit on left frame and 1 hit on cloth near center.  No apparent
damage.
  1 hit on right frame and 1 hit in center.  At 7th shot, cloth tore
loose all along the right side and lower right corner came completely
undone.

Pavise #2 (trigger):

  2 shots on cloth.  No apparent damage.
  2 hits on frame.  No apparent damage.
  1 hit on top frame and 1 hit on cloth.  No apparent damage.
  1 hit on cloth and 1 hit on right frame.  No apparent damage.
  1 hit (9th) on cloth very near right side.  Cloth tore lose from 3
staples on that side.
  1 hit (10th) on cloth.  No apparent damage.

Corners of #2 (trigger) were still in good shape after 10 shots.  Test
was then ended due to cold ears.

The trigger cloth worked well.  It held up against multiple hits at 20
yards.  Fighters I have talked to have testified that blows from this
weapon at 40 yards can be felt as well as a solid spear thrust.  There
was one small area where the cloth tore loose from staples, but the
glued edge held throughout with no sign of weakening.

Larger pavises will probably stand up better because of the greater mass
through which to distribute the force of a blow.  And how often will an
archer's pavise be hit by a ballista?  Not dern often, if our attempts
to suppress opposing missile weapons are done well.

(Horrible thought:  Those who are really into the theatrical aspects of
what we do may well *want* to build light pavises that are only glued.
Imagine the dramatic image of fortifications disintegrating under enemy
fire.)

Conclusions:

  To protect people in the fort battles, build cloth pavises with
trigger cloth and screw or bolt the corners.  They're light, cheap, and
effective.

       Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra