ANST - Ostrich plumes

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Nov 23 08:47:33 PST 1998

Perronnelle wrote:

> Casey&Coni wrote:
> > Hanse hier, having a spot of trouble.  I've been asked to do a lovely set of
> > garments by one of my more refined clients and I find that nobody in all of
> > Heidelburg seems to know where I might acquire ostrich plumes in the quality
> > and volume that I need for the chappeau.  I don't want those sissy looking
>
> For Richard & Gladwen's coronation we found a great mail order source for all
> kinds of feathers.  Good prices and good quality.  However, they only do minimum
> orders of $100.  If you still want their address let me know and I'll go digging
> for it.

Yes, please. I have started a file for my Florilegium on feathers and feather
sources. This would be a useful addition. You can either post it here or send
it to me by email.

I have another file on quills for scribes and how to cut them. They were also
used to fletch arrows. How else were feathers used in period? I seem to
remember smaller feathers being used in hats in earlier times. Or is this just
a Hollywood invention? Were these feathers used in natural colors or were they
dyed? If the latter, what did they use for dyes? The same as for wool or
something else?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net