ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Nov 24 11:48:21 PST 1998

On 24 Nov 98, at 11:15, Merrik Viltar Har wrote:

> .... Almost every archer who hears me say it is no fun responds by saying
> it is Historical. If we are going to be 'Historical', there were NO -
> NON-COMBATANT Archers.

so the concept of "first we kill all the lawyers" can be extended to the
archers ... (grin).  actually a very late period concept (note that "late period"
is a relative concept dependeding on one's individual perspective ... ++g)

point to ponder ... not all cultures who knew the bow used it in significantly
in war for various reasons, and not all combat scenarios included archers of
those times and cultures that did.  our perceptions of what "was" are often
clouded by the surviving records ("historical") that tended to reflect the later
period realities.  in many cases those perception of one time are extended
to all times and all cultures ...

when war became the business of mass slaughter (the age of the "soldier")
aided by technical advance and the commercial ability to manufacture in
quantity, archery reached it golden age on the battlefield.  in the earlier age
of the individual "warrior" it had far less impact and importance.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves