ANST - HUNting for answers

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Oct 2 07:10:22 PDT 1998

On 2 Oct 98, at 0:26, Laughing Boy wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am currently thinking of changing personas, and I am in need of help
> locating documentation.
>
> I want to have a Hun persona.  I know the info is out there, but all I can
> find on my trusty net browser(s) are articles dealing either with military
> battles or specifically Atilla himself.  While these have provided good
> reading, and are not bad things, I want to know what they wore, what they
> ate, customs, etc.  You know, the usual things that round out a persona.
>
> If anyone knows of any sites, or has any links, I would greatly
> appreciate it if they were passed my way.

ahhh, another horse-barbarian type ...

try a search on "magyar history" ie: "hun-gary" .. end of republic roman
history ... scythian (same proto peoples as seen through greek eye's) ...
try mongol (the more asiatic branch, same proto peoples), the chinese
"horse barbarians" (big problems in many empires over a long period of
time ... which is why the great wall was created and expanded) ... all the
way back to the steppes dwelling "khurgan" peoples (it wasn't just a
highlander character ... )

from a euro-centric perception, your best bet will be "mongol" though for the
cultural and historical information that helps build up a persona.  being of
the same line, the actual cultural differences will be small between them
and the "huns" (so close are they that in many records, their names are
often used interchangably)

they were at the height of their culture post-dark ages at a time when the
church was well established (and spreading writing, recording, and archive
of information .....).

unfortunately most historical recordings of the earlier horse barbarians in
the same asiatic family-tree did not survive the destruction of the great
library of alexandria (so many collected greek, egyptian, and earlier primary
sources lost ... sighh), the fall of the roman empire (ie: collapse of known
"civilization") and the following destruction of infromation, records,
knowledge, during the period of decline known as the "dark ages" as the
"barbarians" flooded into the place left empty by the decline of rome.

where the mongol culture is concerned, there are also some excellent
references from the chinese, indic, and middle eastern cultures.

for a good study in such modern survival of horse-barbarian society and
sociology, get yourself a harley, a set of leathers, and start attending the
rallies where the "patch-holder's" / "outlaw" factions are in attendendance
(++g)

side note ... when researching the magyar, pay attention to a wonderful
military inovation that they used to good effect ... the "war wagon" - fortified
wagons (common to most horse barbarian cultures ...) that held archers in
a mobile battle-station setup.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves