ANST - Sumptuary Laws longish comment & info request

Cian Conor MacQuaid cian at ghg.net
Fri Oct 16 20:40:14 PDT 1998

>by what wriitten laws / documentation (corporate / kingdom chapter and
>verse)  a lot of what people assume *is* is not necessarily always so ... the
>only emblems i have seen specifically reserved to the chivalry are the white
>belt/baldric and unadorned golden chain.
>
>don't ever remember having seen a word about spur's in Corpora or
>otherwise when researching similar matters the subject of sumptuary laws
>has come up in teh past.
>
>'wolf

I have been looking into the knight's regalia thing for other reason (the
squire's silver chain).  After much searching and digging andf checking of
resources (Kingdom [Ansteorra] Law, Corpora, the Organizationa Handbook & as
much of the Laurel Socvereign's web page as I could digest I could find no
definition of the regalia of any of the orders.  Lady Perronnelle was kind
enough to explain that regalia was registered as charges and completed the
explanation with:
"I've confirmed that any *unadorned* chain is reserved for knights.
However, some kingdoms have chosen to use gold for knights and other
also use silver for squires.  Is that what you needed to know?  It's
documented in the OandA; where you found the tinctureless chain.

--Perronnelle"

O&A is the Ordinary and Armorial, where I spent a great deal of time being
frustrated.

Speaking of things that we thought we knew!  The customs by which I have passed
my time are as follows:
Knights wear gold chains
Squires wear silver chains if that is customary where they live or if their
knight thinks it a good idea.  (Mine do).
Knights wear spurs, maybe gold maybe not.
Squires wear spurs, probably not gold, if that is customary where they live or
if their knight thinks it a good idea. (Mine do not).
People who ride horses wear spurs if they feel like it.
Knights wear white belts either unadorned or adorned in such a manner that there
is not likely to be any mistaken intent. (mine is adorned)
Squires wear red belts as above.  But they are not the only ones who _may_ do
so.

If anyone has  any reference where I can find the official policy on these
things I would love to see it. I am most interested in Society and Ansteorra
rulings, but I am curious about the others.  I have seen both yellow and purple
proteges belts, for example.

Cian