ANST - Sumptuary Laws Elsewhere

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Oct 16 23:52:51 PDT 1998

As an interesting point of interkingdom anthropology, I just found out
today that Trimaran Sumptuary Laws are a part of their Kingdom Law, and
they explicitly reserve red belts for squires, green belts for apprentices,
and gold belts for proteges.

I think this is extremely unecessary, myself.  I can't think of how many
horror stories I've heard from relative newcomers who happened to be
wearing a red sash or a cordovan belt (reddish brown) and had some idiot
ream them for wearing a "red belt", or a clerical persona with a plain rope
belt being harassed for wearing a "white belt".  Adding green and gold
belts to the mix would just leave whole lotta people with their pants
falling down.

We've been discussing this whole issue at length on the SCA Laurels List,
and the Laurels on that list at least all agree that "student" of any
flavor (whether squire, man-at-arms, apprentice, protege, journeyman, or
whatever you call them) is a personal relationship, not a rank, and that it
is rude at best to harass someone for wearing a belt of any color,
excepting the one truly reserved one, the white belt.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)