ANST - what can we learn ... was: Sumpt. Laws & Belt Stories...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Oct 20 20:21:52 PDT 1998

On 20 Oct 98, at 22:38, jhartel wrote:

> Similar story happened to a lady I knew years ago.  ... At Hector and
> Rowan's 2nd (I believe) coronation.  Only this time the knight did not do
> the chastising himself, he sent his squire over to do it for him. Needless
> to say the lady politely informed the squire that 1)she was relatively new
> to the SCA (this being her 3rd event)and did not know of the ruling, 2)her
> thin, handknotted belt was "ecru" and not a "true white" and 3)that since
> she was in no way pretending to be a knight nor passing hersef off as one
> that he, the squire, could tell his knight to get "stuffed" unless he had
> the honor and courage to address her himself.  Well a very flustered
> squire left and was never approached by the knight. Several times
> throughout the day the lady was sent very nasty glances by the knight but
> all she did was smile and wave at him.
>
> Fortunately, this and the other stories are NOT in the majority.

pity, if more would handle this matter exactly how your friend did, this
situation would not occur as often as it does .. i applaud a rational person
standing their ground against such narrow minded stupidity and
"peerage" politics ... i do hope the person involved managed to transcend
the politics and found a home in the SCA ...  the organization is better for
people like this (who will tell the emporer that he left his clothes at home ...)

this points out a very important point that is often forgotten by those that
achive these ranks ... they carry a higher level of obligation than most are
used to bearing.

as peer it is always important to remember that your actions and
interactions are much more visible to those around you ... as a
representative of your order are held to much higher standards than in a
earlier phase of your life ... you are looked to a leader and model but when
you come accross as a belligerant bully taking advantage of those weaker
than you (in this case one who sends your students to carry out your dirty
work for you) what message are you sending to those students and the
populace at large ... how do your actions reflect on your order as a whole
... are you a living example of the ideals that you are supposed to hold
above all or have you simply adopted the trappings and abusing the power
and prestege ....

squires learn from their knights ... in this case what did the squire learn?
hopefully they are a greater person than their knight, and will transcend the
example set by that knight in this instance.  hopefully they will learn from
this lesson and will make it a point to try to insure that as student, they do
not replicate the failings of their teacher.

'wolf
.. who has seen many good knights / masters who truely understand and
try ... and as many bad who don't have a clue and could care less

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves