ANST - Pompous Asses (can I say that?)

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 21 10:16:23 PDT 1998

> While on this trip she was observed by someone who took offense at the belt
> she was wearing.  The belt, as worn, was dyed black with a red stripe down the
> middle.
> The person who took offense at this belt approached a Knight and expressed
> their displeasure at what they concluded was a farce, since this little slip
> of a woman couldn't possibly posess the skills required to be a squire.  The
> Knight apparently agreed with this argument and thence proceded to call the
> young lady out of the kitchen and severely berate her for her transgression.

A few points here. First and foremost. This Knight was an total ass. Give me his
name privately and I will call him an ass to his face. On the one hand. Not thinking
that someone could possibly "possess the skills required to be a squire" is pure
garbage. I've seen squires lose newbie tournaments. A squire's belt means nothing
more than a knight gave it to you. For someone to be berated about wearing one shows
total disregard for what the Society stands for.

Also, people who get all uptight over whether their domain is being encroached on
show that they are uncomfortable with the respect they feel is their due. When
people, Peers or otherwise, start worrying more about the symbol than the respect
that is supposed to come with it is when there are problems. The members of the
populace who worry if that monk personna is trying to pass himself off as a
knight. The Laurel who chastises a lady for having leafy trim on her dress. The
Baron who thinks somebody's circlet may be a BIT too wide. To inform or correct
gently is one thing, but to berate is totally another.

Fixating too much on the symbols of rank is what leads to rhino-hiding, rude
behaviour, and people getting walked on. If more people cared more for getting
true respect and honor and less for the symbol things would be easier. Some could
say that it's easy for me to say because I have a lot of awards. But I have a little
game that I play. Every event I try to earn the awards I have. I could sit back
and say "Respect me because I have a White Belt" but I would rather have respect
because I keep trying to do the stuff that's supposed to earn you the belt. I also
feel that the majority of my brothers feel the same way. Remember, for every rhino
there are 100 honorable fighters. For every ass there are a thousand members for
whom courtesy is paramount.

And when I screw up and be that 1 in a 1000 ass, please let me know so I can apologize.

> Don Malcolm of Loch Greymist

Yours,

Gunthar