ANST - Reply to Pompous Asses

MofLGM at aol.com MofLGM at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 14:27:35 PDT 1998

Thank you Gunthar for your words of support.

At this time I don't feel that much would be gained by having you call the
offending party on the carpet.   I wish that it had been done at the time.
Several people of rank approached him later that evening to see if they could
entreat him to apologize, not neccesarily for what he said, but for the way he
said it.  Their efforts were rejected.  Shortly after the incient I appealed
to the Crown on behalf of the lady, but  I was told that it was not in their
power to apologize for this Knight nor could they compel him to apologize.  At
that point the Dream became a little tarnished for me and in some facets has
remained so to this day.

In the five years that have passed since the incident I have watched this
person be honored by others for his efforts.  I have had to converse with him
from time to time due to either his or my being officers of either local
groups or the region.  This has not been easy, but I learned long ago that
grudges only hurt the person who holds them.  The person to whom the grudge is
directed is usually oblivious to it.   So why waste my energy in keeping my
bile boiling?  Instead I have promised myself that I will never make the same
mistake and I will counsel others to beware of taking any of this too
seriously.

My only lasting regret from this sorry mess is that I could not have
intervened while the incident was in progress.  I don't know if I could have
changed the outcome.  But if I could have, then whenever I fight in a
tournament and the heralds ask us "to salute the person whose favor you bear"
then my wife would be there to see with her own eyes what I have to relate to
her in words when I get home from the event.

Again my thanks to you,
Malcolm