ANST - Pompous Asses (can I say that?)

Sp1ke sp1ke at gte.net
Wed Oct 21 15:10:14 PDT 1998

I whole heartedly agree.  Awards are too often seen as the proof of "divine" knowledge, and the right to act in a manner contrary to what they would have acted like before they received the award.  In real life, and organizations like the SCA, too often people get the "Big Frog in the little pond" syndrome.  For many it is their sole claim to fame in their life because they have accomplished little in their real one (of course there are exceptions, that is why I said "many" rather than 'all'.)  But, fortunately there is usually enough room and other events to go to that it is easy to move around these people, and still have a good time without them.  Plus, there are enough people who are so delightful, and take their awards in a gracious and responsible manner; which makes playing with them over the long run even more enjoyable.  Hey, it shouldn't really matter if some are pompous or not.  The SCA is just a cross section of real life, and if you can deal with it without a lot of heartburn in real life, then it should not be that difficult to deal with it in a game.

Spyke