ANST - Pompous asses

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 22 07:41:46 PDT 1998

I read this off the East list and thought it very appropriate to this
discussion:

From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: EK: Re: Intimidated Newcomers

- -Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

  Oh, but you see, that one's easy. The title for such a person
  is "Pompous Jerk Who Isn't Worth My Time".

What is important to know, however, is that there is a secret: in those
closed Peerage vigils that pedestrians are not allowed to visit, a hazing
ritual is conducted: over and over again, experienced Peers come by and say
"This doesn't actually make you important.  Don't be an idiot."

(OK, OK, I'm not a Peer, and I don't GO to those vigils.)

	Tibor

It was in reference to the rare person who throws a hissy fit if you omit
their titles when speaking with them. One of the things I try to stress to
my students is that RESPECT is more important than RANK. And then I'll usually
make some truly inappropriate comment about some lady's bustle. (sigh)

As to being a pompous ass, thank you for the vote of confidence but trust me
I'm frequently a major ass. Every once in a while I even meant to be.

Yers,

Gunthar