ANST - WAS Big Fish-Now Newcomers and Paperwork

John Yates ktmc at icok.net
Thu Oct 22 11:10:52 PDT 1998

Greetings!
   The posts that have bridged from the harassment that can occasionally
occur to a newcomer to paperwork discussion leads me to a couple of
thoughts/questions;
   1. Is the level of paperwork in the Society an outgroth of our
litiginous 'mundane' world, or is much of it our own making? It's
already at the point where there is a class on how to do gate at events
(some call it troll). That leads me to a second point.
   When I got back in after a ten-year period, it seemd the like the
first time I went to a populace meeting, it was a class on how to
conduct troll. Now, the class was necessary for an upcoming event, but
it was enough for me not to come back for a while.
   The need to conduct these classes may be real, but can't they risk
running off new folk who come to a meeting with whatever that
individual's Middle Ages interest is, it isn't likely to include a great
deal of formality about internal conventions of the Society (not just
limited to gate,) that, even if the newcomer has an excellent background
in Medieval History, they won't recognize.
   In Oklahoma, you can sometimes purchase fireams at a gun show with
less paperwork than it requires for a legal-age adult to get on site at
a tourney.
   A few of the symbols might be recognizeable to a newcomer that are
used by various Orders, but certainly not a majority. I have evidently
been more fortunate than some, because I have found advice plentiful and
friendly here in the Northern region when I have asked for help.

   Have A Great Day!
   Volstarr