ANST - Pompous Asses (can I say that?)

Gary Koehler midnightk at htcomp.net
Fri Oct 23 14:25:26 PDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: smithson <smithson at hot1.net>
To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG <ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 1998 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: ANST - Pompous Asses (can I say that?)

>BRAVO! BRAVO! (clap, clap, clap)
>In a household that contains an acting seneschal, hospitaler, knights
>marshal and regional scribe, all of which have various awards, we have
>heard of many a newbie being not only berated but personally insulted for
>wearing the wrong thing. This not only sheds a bad light on the person
>doing the berating but on the society itself. I have heard one person say
>they like the idea of the SCA but, it's no fun to be yelled at while you're
>trying to have fun.
>It's really hard to get new members that way.
>We should hold our expectations for ourselves and not INFLICT them on
>others, Too many of us who work toward authenticity forget that all the
>society requires is,"an ATTEMPT at period garb."
>Let's keep our anal tendencies to ourselves and just have fun.
>
>Lord Jaymes Smithson and Lady Francesca di Angelo
>acting Seneschal  and  Hospitaler
>Emerald Keep
>----------

As a Memer of that same household I have to agree with Jaymes...what most of
us have learned when we first get in is by trial and error..you don't become
a memebr of the SCA and suddenly become all knowing of  the traditions of a
group or kingdom..it takes many years to even begin learning the vast
majority of things we learn.. and truth be told I think that everyone learns
something new each time they congregate with their group or at
events..otherwise the Sca would not keep growing.... to learn  and  seek the
knowledge of others around you  is to prevent things from becoming
stagnant...even if a new person makes even what some peerage feels is a HUGE
mistake instead of having the preverbial cow.. why not be tactful and
explain to them why some people might take offense and then instead of
walking away maybe either teach them something or maybe introduce them to
someone who will have time to take them under their wing and teach them at
least the basics.. I was fortunate enough to have that back in the Days when
I started in Raven's Fort to have a few Guiding hands to help me along...and
I must say that I really appreciated their help. So next time you see
someone who needs a little help....Remember when you were new to the SCA and
lend them a helping hand..It'll make us all a little richer for the effort.

My 2 cents worth
Lady Annora von Koehler