ANST - Pompousness - dealing with

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:39:49 PDT 1998

Greetings one and all:

There have been so many posts on this subject, it must be a matter of
great interest to a lot of people.  After reading some of the words
about how to deal with such matters, I thought I'd throw out some ideas
on how to make people think more about how they treat others, by
reviving old customs.

I've read several places that among many orders of knighthood, and in
many households, it was tradition that usually once a year, often at
Yule or some other event associated with the passing of the year,
knights were called upon to give an account of their activities during
that year.  That would include telling of any particularly great deeds
done, but would also be an opportunity for others to bring them to task
for infractions.  Something like this need not bog down into long-winded
storytelling as long as the person in charge of the event keeps it on
track.

Another custom I've read about might be more amusing for some, but may
not go over so well.  Some books I've read made reference to a custom
that was apparently common on Bavaria and other parts of Germany, and
not unknown elsewhere:  Sometimes knights attending a tourney would be
brought into a sort of drumhead court, and punishment meted out for some
offense they had committed.  There are stories of knights being fined,
ridden around the tourney site on a rail, and ejected from the site
until they did sufficient penance (?) for the offense.  Some kind of
equivalent mechanism might be enacted for our purposes.  And it would
certainly be a spectacle.

       Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra