ANST - Big fish/small ponds, classes, and disgusted newcomers

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Sat Oct 24 18:34:09 PDT 1998

Once again, the rare voice of good sense is heard across the land!  The
SCA was so much more fun when it was simpler.  I understand the necessity
of some paperwork, but it is getting ridiculous!  It seems like everyone
wants to leave his "mark" by instituting a new form or regulation or
award or badge or law.

Remember when:

You could actually get on the field because armor was easy to acquire?
Carpet, foam, and a freon can and you were in business!

You could enter an A&S competition without writing a thesis, and the
peers gave out largess and pointers?

Serving and clean-up duty was FUN, because everyone was there to help?
(New people love to get recognition for service.)

You could play "cloved lemon" without having to play "tonsil tennis"?

People appreciated bardic and musical performances, even if the performer
had more enthusiasm than talent?

You could leave your valuables in your tent or even outside it, and have
reasonable expectation that they would be there when you got back?

Households played together and were secondary to the group as a whole?

Anyone could teach, learn. or share their knowledge as they pleased
without embarrassment or negative criticism?

Teaching was a learning experience, too?

(You get the idea.)

I don't say we should or even could turn back the clock, but if we want
"newcomers" to become "old timers,"  we need to remember and recreate the
magic that  made us stick around all these years.

If you want to mark territory, pee on a tree.
If you want to have fun, come play with me!

Joanna

(Whose soapbox is due to cave in anytime now!)