ANST - Teachers

Scot Eddy seddy at vvm.com
Mon Oct 26 04:11:42 PST 1998

I think we have taken a potentially good idea (teacher screening) and
dragged it to death. We're already carping about forms in triplicate,
badges, certificates, judging criteria, the politics of getting
warranted, ad nauseum. Let's not go overboard, but start simply. If I
were a collegium steward I would like to know that a few Laurels (yes,
we ALL know that there are Laurels of all ability levels and others
who should be Laurels who aren't. Let's leave that arguement to rest.)
have seen the presentation and given it their OK. As simple as a call
or conversation telling me so should suffice.

I worry about the new SCAdian who sees a class on Iconography, for
instance, and writes one of the Archangel Gabriel with a mohawk and
earring and says "It's OK, I heard it in a class on Iconography."
Insert your own potential catastrophe. Those of us who have a few SCA
years under our belts have better BS filters. The new SCAdian usually
doesn't.

Why not start them out on the right foot everytime instead of
hit-or-miss. We've been getting better all the time. Less spun domes,
less sneakers, fewer sweats, more accurate A & S entries. Let's give
this growth a shot in the arm.

"If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you're
getting."

By the way, if you're wondering about my credentials on teaching; I'm
a combat vet. I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Have for years.

Grace and Peace,

Jovian